The board recognizes that concerns regarding the operation of the school district will arise.
Procedures for dealing with complaints concerning programs or practices should be governed by the following principles:
► Where action/investigation is desired by the complainant, or where it seems appropriate, the matter should be handled as near the source as possible;
- Take your concern to the person closest to the problem. (teacher, bus driver, coach)
- Present your concern to the next level. (principal, director of transportation, athletic director)
- Talk to the superintendent
- After all other means to solve the problem have been tried – contact your board member.
A board member may take one or all of the following actions:
- Informally discuss the issue with the superintendent
- Request that the board review the specific policy that relate to the situation
- Propose new policies for the board to consider
► Complaints should both be investigated if necessary and resolved expeditiously whenever possible;
► Complaints should be dealt with respectfully; and,
► Individuals directly affected by the complaint should have an opportunity to respond.
Specific procedures for handling complaints may be established in policies. The board, consistent with its board policy-making role, will deal with complaints concerning specific schools, programs or procedures only after the usual channels have been exhausted. Complaints regarding employees or complaints by students will follow the more specific policies on those issues.
When a complaint requiring attention is received by the board or a board member it will be referred to the superintendent. After all of the appropriate channels have been exhausted the complainant may appeal to the board, the appeal will be in writing to the board secretary, signed and explain the process followed by the complainant prior to the appeal to the board. The board is not obligated to address a complaint and may defer to the decision of the superintendent. If the board elects not to address a complaint, the decision of the superintendent shall be final. If the board does elect to address a complaint, its decision shall be final.
Approved 11-15-04 Reviewed 5-16-05, 2-20-06, 4-18-11, 05-18-15 Revised 7-22-19