The board has the exclusive authority to determine the appropriate number of licensed employees. A reduction of licensed employees may occur as a result of, but not be limited to, changes in the education program, staff realignment, changes in the size or nature of the student population, financial situation considerations, and other reasons deemed relevant by the board.
The reduction in licensed employees, other than administrators, will be done through normal attrition if possible. If normal attrition does not meet the necessary reduction in force required, the board may terminate licensed employees.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to make a recommendation for termination to the board. The superintendent shall consider the following criteria in making the recommendations:
- Endorsements and educational preparation within the grade level and subject areas in which the employee is now performing;
- Relative skills, ability and demonstrated performance;
- Qualifications for co-curricular programs; and
- Number of continuous years of service to the school district. This will be considered only when the foregoing factors are relatively equal between licensed employees.
Due process for terminations due to a reduction in force will be followed.
Iowa Code §§ 20.7, .24; 279.13, .15-.19, .27.
- Licensed Employee Suspension
413.6 Classified Employee Reduction in Force 703 Budget
Approved 12-19-03 Reviewed 6-18-07 8-21-12 1-28-19 Revised 8-21-12 1-28-19