East Union Community School District
Title: Food Service Cook
Reports to: Food Service Manager
1. Completion or in process of completion, of approved Food Service Short Courses, as deemed necessary by the School District and/or Food Service Director, to accomplish and maintain certification and job position. (Any employee hired needs to attend the Food Prep and Food Sanitation courses as offered.)
2. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
3. Able work in warm and cold conditions.
4. Have manual and mental dexterity to handle kitchen equipment.
5. Able to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
6. Must be courteous and cooperative with director, manager, employers, employees, students, and school staff.
7. Able to read and comprehend recipes and directions.
8. Ability to quantitatively increase or decrease recipe sizes as needed.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Status: Part time, Hourly
1. RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING WEEKLY SCHEDULE.
● Determines what food preparation job is expected from the posted schedule.
● Performs scheduled job in a quick and efficient manner.
● Checks at completion of scheduled job to see if others need assistance completing their jobs.
● Food service employees must verify kinds and amounts of food being sent to them.
● Looks for work to do, plans ahead to see what needs to be done, and uses own initiative to get this work done; unless otherwise directed by manager and/or director.
2. RESPONSIBLE FOR PREPARING, COOKING AND BAKING FOOD.
● Determines what supplies are required for food preparation and how to prepare it.
● Obtains supplies from storeroom, refrigerators or freezers.
● Prepares food according to established recipes.
● Knows how to prepare food in large quantities.
● Recognizes properly prepared food items by sight, taste, and smell, and willing to substitute or redo any food product that does not meet the manager’s and/or director’s standards.
● Has meals prepared on schedule.
● Responsible for the economical operation of the kitchen and the avoidance of waste or consistent overproduction of food items.
3. RESPONSIBLE FOR SERVING FOOD
● Sets up service areas, uses test strips to test sanitizing water.
● Checks food temperatures before serving with thermometer, out of oven, then every two hours while being held in the hot cart or refrigerator, before service, before storage and every two hours until reaching the appropriate temperature. Records all results according to HACCP regulations.
● Serves food in a timely, pleasant manner.
● Assumes responsibility for seeing that during meal service periods the supply of foods offered is replenished regularly.
● Helps with the portioning and serving of food items so that the manager and director can verify that each plate meets the government requirements for a reimbursable meal.
● Responsible to see that everything is ready to be by the preschool personnel.
4. RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING HOW TO USE EQUIPMENT AND HOW TO CLEAN THE KITCHEN, STOREROOMS, LUNCHROOM AND ALL THE EQUIPMENT ON THE DESIGNATED SCHEDULE.
● Maintains kitchen equipment by daily cleaning, washing and sterilizing all dishes, flatware, utensils, countertops, and tables.
● Assists in the bi-annual cleaning of all oven vents and fans.
● Assists in determining that all equipment and carts are in proper working condition.
● Performs major cleaning of kitchen, storeroom, lunchroom and all equipment at least twice a year.
● Assists in maintaining a daily cleaning of lunchroom tables.
● Knows and works in a safe, proper and efficient manner with kitchen equipment.
● Knows and follows proper hygiene in the wearing of no hair nets, no polish or jewelry, clothing, shoes, gloves and aprons;
● Follows HACPP in all job areas.
5. RESPONSIBLE FOR INVENTORY
● Records all food items in or out of storeroom or freezers.
● Checks and verifies food shipments in absence of food service director and manager absence.
● Assists with a weekly, monthly and yearly inventory.
● Assumes responsibility for using oldest dated food products first.
6. RESPONSIBLE FOR KITCHEN LAUNDRY.
● Assists with daily laundry that is to be washed and dried or hung up for future cleaning.
● Assists with daily laundry to be folded and/or sent on to the other scho
7. RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING TO ASSIGNED SCHEDULE.
● Notification of sickness one hour (not before 5:15 a.m.) before job begins to insure time for contacting a substitute if needed.
● Notification of illness on a daily basis and if a long term illness is determined, on a weekly basis.
● Punctual in arrival time, ready to work, and works efficiently until hours have been met, few absences.
● Receives prior approval for all absences from Food Service Director (except daily sick leave and “that day” emergency requests) and turns in leave form.
● Responsible for daily check in and check out.
● Keeps non-working conversation to a minimum.
8. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
● Works with a cheerful, helpful and open-minded attitude.
● Communicates and works effectively with ALL individuals/departments of the school district and community.
● Works effectively with community organizations.
● Supports the philosophy and mission of East Union Community Schools.
● Ability to get along with and have a positive effect on others. Able to accept directions, changing situations, and work assignments.
● Dependable in utilizing time appropriately and follows all work rules and policies. Exemplifies good work habits for other employees.
● Regularly demonstrates physical, mental, and emotional ability to perform assigned duties.
● Dresses in appropriate attire, giving special attention to cleanliness, neatness and general grooming.
● Shows initiative in willingness to assume responsibility by being able to determine priority in work schedule.
● Ability to plan constructively for future events, needs or changes.
○ Create or try new products.
○ Try new ways of doing job.
10. RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER RELATED DUTIES
Responsible for other related duties as assigned by Food Service Director and/or Manager.
Shall conform to all equity rules and regulations relating to nondiscrimination on the basis of gender, race, creed, national/ethnic origin, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
Created ____October 2008_______
Board Adopted ____October 20, 2008__
Modified: July 2013
Board Approved: July 30, 2013
Board Adopted ____October 20, 2008____